Friday, January 6, 2012

Comics of 2012

I've been contemplating my favorite new series of 2011, and it got me thinking about what I am looking forward to in the coming year. There were a lot of really cool sounding projects announced, and I am very excited to see where they go.

It looks like my obsession with Image is going to continue into this new year. Starting with the first issue of Fatale, by the always amazing team Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, which comes out tomorrow, series of great sounding books starting this year is amazing. If you haven't read Brubaker and Phillips' previous collaborations on Criminal and Incognito, go do it, now, and pick up Fatale regardless. The first issue came out this week, and was gorgeous and mysterious - as always.
Jonathan Hickman is joined by Nick Pitarra for The Manhattan Projects, and Ryan Bodenheim for Secret, both at Image, both which look like they will continue my obsession with his creator-owned work. The delayed solo Feel Better Now one-shot/original graphic novel, also looks amazing, harking back to the amazing The Nightly News. Last year's Red Wing was also great, and I can't wait to see these projects.
Jim McCann and Janet Lee's The Return of the Dapper Men is one of my favorite books, and it's sequel Time of the Dapper Men might come out this year. More certain, McCann's Image project Mind the Gap has a completely different tone, and I'm excited to see where he goes with the premise of someone waking up outside of their body with no idea of how they got there.
Like Hickman, Brian Wood has a lot of new projects in the coming year. Set in the aftermath ofmajor global warming, The Massive starts with a 3-part story in Dark Horse Presents. It's probably the most exciting of his projects to me, but Conan the Barbarian and Wolverine & the X-Men: Alpha & Omega look really good as well. It seems like Conan will continue in the vein of the amazing Northlanders, which (along with Becky Cloonan's art) is why I'm giving it a chance. Alpha & Omega just began, and I'm really enjoying the focus on the antagonistic relationship between Kid Omega and Wolverine. In addition, it looks like he'll have a digital project of some sort later in the year.
One of my favorite new comics of 2011, Gladstone's School for World Conquerors, is back next year with its second volume. A delightful story about the children of super-villains, I'm excited to see where the next arc takes the students as they learn more about their parents' past. 
One of my favorite pairings in comics is Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev. Their run on Daredevil cemented my love of comics, and I've been loving their creator owned Scarlet, which has been on a bit of hiatus. It seems like it will return this year, and I can't wait to see where they take the story in the next arc in the coming months.
Speaking of long awaited returns... Brian K. Vaughan is back to creator owned comics with Saga, with art by Fiona Staples. Kind of a Romeo and Juliet of alien species - but where they don't commit suicide, and live to have a baby as they abandon their warring armies to become a family. Sounds really good, and looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to see if it fulfills its potential.
Another potentially interesting alien story is Saucer Country, where a presidential candidate is abducted by aliens, and has to deal with the aftermath of the events. I've been loving Paul Cornell's Demon Knights, and Ryan Kelly's art is always fantastic, so I can't wait to see where this goes.
To be honest I have no idea what Dark Matter is going to be like, other than sci-fi, and pretty. I'm excited though, because I like trying new series and being surprised I hope it lives up to my expectations.
I never thought I would be excited for anything with Rob Liefeld's name attached, but the return of Prophet, by Brandon Graham, Simon Roy, and Marian Churchland, actually looks really good, and anything that gets recommended by Warren Ellis is hard to ignore. 
I'm sure there are plenty of things yet to be announced, and I'm sure they'll be awesome, but these are the things I'm looking forward to starting in 2012 as of now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog News

Welcome to my blog. I like to talk about books. And comics. And other nerdy things. Also, chocolate, cheese, and bread. I am a fan of all of those things. Hopefully you are too.